If you work in the field of CFD on Automotive applications like External Aerodynamics, Underhood, Climate Control (HVAC) simulations or Non-Automotive applications like Wind turbines, Tank sloshing (Multi-phase VOF), Industrial ventilations etc then this training will help you to explore OpenFOAM. Even if you are not into these applications, we can still work on a personalized training on your topics. OpenFOAM today is 2nd most widely used CFD package in the world, is completely free and highly customizable due to availability of source code.
This training will be delivered by ESI's CFD services team with over 20 years of experience. They will also share their experience which is unmatched with any other training that is being offered around.
CFD Engineers / Managers / Analysts
This course focuses on applying OpenFOAM to solve CFD problems for your applications. This training doesn’t teach any programming or source code modifications.
Prior experience with a CFD is recommended but not required.
- Introduction to basic Linux commands
- Brief introduction of OpenFOAM and basics about file structure
- Hands on with incompressible model covering:
- Meshing: Block Meshing & Mesh visualization
- Case Setup & Simulation: Boundary Condition, Transport properties definition, Turbulence model selection, basics of numerical schemes, Simulation write control and format, solver definition.
- Post processing: Contour plots, legend modification, Vector plots.
Propeller simulation using MRF approach
Define Input CAD/ Geometry data, Surface Mesh sizing based on part or assembly, Volume Zone refinement, Surface Feature preservation, Boundary Layer generation
Effect of important parameter changes on the mesh and subsequently on results, such as with or without Boundary Layer
Automatic switching from first order numerical schemes to second order, tweaking of relaxation parameters
Effect of boundary condition changes such as Velocity Inlet to Pressure Inlet or normal wall to slip wall
Other Utilities: Items such as Solution Monitoring, Solver Controls, Mesh Manipulation (Scaling, Import, Export), Case Partitioning, Running in Parallel
Volume of Fluid (VOF) simulation covering:
- Multi-block Meshing
- Case Setup
- Multiphase simulation,
- Field Initialization/ Patching of different phases
- Transient Analysis
- Particle traces, 2D plot over a line
- Visualization of volume fraction & fluid-fluid interface
Compressible flow simulation with Arbitrary Mesh Interface
- Merging of two meshes,
- Mesh Quality parameter setup and their explanations, mesh review from quality point of view
- Interior Zone definitions for Boundary Conditions such as Fan and/or for monitoring
- Case Setup
- Understanding of OpenFOAM deck for Compressible and non-isothermal
- Arbitrary Interface
- Porous media & Heat source modeling
- To find out variable value at a particular location
- Creation of Iso-Surfaces, deriving new variables for better understanding of simulation
Towards the end of training an optional session of Visual-CFD is planned. Visual-CFD GUI environment integrates OpenFOAM into a CAE platform, called Visual Environment. More details of the Visual-CFD can be found here: